PREVIEW: Men’s Basketball Looks to Secure CACC Playoff Spot on Tuesday Evening
BRONXVILLE, NY – Concordia will host Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) North Division foe Bloomfield College on Tuesday evening in their final regular season game. A playoff spot is on the line for the Clippers as tip-off at the Meyer Athletic Center in Bronxville, NY is set for 7pm following the women's game. The Deacons lead the all-time series, 19-3, between the two teams since their first meeting during the 1974-75 season according to historical records.
CONCORDIA VS. BLOOMFIELD
- Bloomfield won their first meeting, 64-62, on Dec. 17, 1974.
- Concordia has only won three games all time against the Deacons (.136 winning percentage).
- The Clippers have lost the past five games in a row against Bloomfield.
- The last time Concordia and Bloomfield met (Jan. 12, 2012), the Deacons won 79-73 in Bloomfield, NJ. Argelix Gil (Brooklyn, NY) led Concordia with a game-high 28 points on 8-of-14 shooting from the field while also adding a game-high 18 rebounds. He also added two assists and two steals while Jason Alleyne (Bronx, NY) added 18 points and Norman Pope (Washington, D.C.) finished with 15 points.
- All-Time Series Results:
|Dec. 17, 1974:||Bloomfield, 64-62||Jan. 30, 1982:||Bloomfield, 73-68|
|Jan. 11, 1975:||Bloomfield, 91-80||Feb. 16, 1982:||Bloomfield, 84-74|
|Dec. 17, 1975:||Bloomfield, 60-55||Feb. 27, 1985:||Bloomfield, 66-65|
|Nov. 19, 1976:||Bloomfield, 65-44||1985-86 Season:||Concordia, 66-52|
|Dec. 15, 1976:||Bloomfield, 65-57||Feb. 3, 1987:||Concordia, 82-50|
|Feb. 2, 1977:||Bloomfield, 83-57||Nov. 17, 1995:||Concordia, 80-59|
|Nov. 17, 1977:||Bloomfield, 98-79||Dec. 12, 2009:||Bloomfield, 72-69|
|Dec. 19, 1978:||Bloomfield, 70-58||Feb. 2, 2010:||Bloomfield, 75-68|
|Mar. 1, 1979:||Bloomfield, 90-77||Dec. 11, 2010:||Bloomfield, 86-79|
|Jan. 14, 1980:||Bloomfield, 95-60||Feb. 9, 2011:||Bloomfield, 116-79|
|Feb. 12, 1980:||Bloomfield, 83-46||Jan. 12, 2012:||Bloomfield, 79-73|
THE CONCORDIA COLLEGE CLIPPERS (11-14, 8-9 CACC)
- Picked to finish 6th in CACC North Division preseason poll, currently 4th in North Division standings.
- Concordia needs to win in order to secure the final playoff spot in the North Division.
- The Clippers previously fell to Goldey-Beacom College, 82-76, last Saturday afternoon. Brandon Whitaker (Harlem, NY) led Concordia with a game-high 23 points and seven assists in 35 minutes of action. Gil added 20 points and a team-high eight rebounds while Pope chipped in with 10 points. As a team, the Clippers shot 37.0% (27-of-73) from the field as their bench was outscored 46-21.
- Whitaker currently has 972 career points.
- Within the CACC, Gil is 1st in points per game (18.3), 3rd in rebounds per game (11.0) and 8th in field goal percentage (51.8%). In Division II he is ranked 6th in rebounds per game according to the Feb. 16th rankings.
- Concordia scores the most points per game (76.5) and records the second most rebounds per game (40.3) in the CACC.
THE BLOOMFIELD COLLEGE DEACONS (21-6, 15-2 CACC)
- Picked to finish 1st in CACC North Division preseason poll, currently 1st in North Division standings.
- Last season the Deacons won the CACC Championship and advanced to the Elite Eight on the NCAA Division II Tournament.
- Bloomfield is 8-1 since they last played against Concordia.
- The Deacons previously defeated Chestnut Hill College, 74-73, on Saturday afternoon. Terry Hicks led Bloomfield with 15 points while Kevin Udo came off the bench to score 10 points and a team-high 11 rebounds. Five of the eight players that played in the game for the Deacons finished the game in double figures.
- Ahmad Harris is ranked 7th in assists per game (6.9) and 25th in steals per game (2.3) while Udo is 30th in rebounds per game (9.0) within Division II according to the Feb. 16th rankings.
- Matt Wafula leads the team averaging 15.9 points per game as the team has five players that average over 8.7 points per game.
- Wafula is ranked 8th in the CACC in points per game while Harris is ranked 9th in rebounds per game (7.5) and Udo is 4th in rebounds per game (9.1) and 2nd in field goal percentage (59.9%).
- Bloomfield is ranked second to last in the CACC for 3-Pt field goal percentage (29.8%) while ranking 1st in rebounds per game (43.7) and 2nd in points per game (75.6).