BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Senior center fielder Audrey Gardus (Carbondale, Pa.) recorded a hit in each outing of the Concordia College New York softball team's Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader on Thursday afternoon, rounding the bases off a triple from senior left fielder Yeisy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) in the second contest for the Clippers' lone run in a 13-1 setback against Caldwell University after falling in the opener 12-0.
• Concordia falls to 9-11 overall, 5-7 in CACC play.
• Caldwell improves to 15-13, 8-2 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Gardus went 1-1.
• Senior catcher Tori Tansley (Old Forge, Pa.) went 1-2.
• Freshman RHP Madison Shura (Wallingford, Conn.) got the start, allowing nine runs with seven earned off nine hits in 2.2 innings.
• For Caldwell, Nora Conway went 3-4 with a home run, four RBI and two runs scored while Anyssia Ramirez went 2-3 with a home run, three RBI and two runs scored. Sara Bearden got the start, holding Concordia to one hit in 2.0 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Leading off the contest with a bunt single, Conway gave Caldwell a 1-0 lead off a sacrifice fly from Christina Misiur.
• Opening the top of the second with a double, Kaileen Cain touched home plate on a single from Ramirez with doubles from Conway and Maya Rodriguez platting Lauren Stansell, Ramirez and Carly Testa to create a 5-0 score.
• Caldwell used a pair of two-run homers with two outs in the top of the third from Ramirez and Conway to pull ahead 9-0.
• Leading off the top of the fourth with a single, Jessie Johnston rounded the bases off a home run from Misiur to take an 11-0 lead.
• The Cougars added to its lead in the top of the fifth off a two-out single from Testa to score Alaina Zavala and hold a 12-0 advantage.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia tallied two hits while the Cougars had 13.
• The Clippers left two runner on base, Caldwell stranded four.
• Concordia recorded four errors.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Cruz went 1-2 with a triple, RBI and walk.
• Gardus went 1-2 with a run scored.
• Freshman second baseman/shortstop Ellen Little (Port Deposit, Md.) went 1-2 with a walk.
• Freshman third baseman Carly Berezny (Oxford, N.J.) went 0-1 with two walks.
• Junior RHP MacKenna Powell (Milford, Pa.) got the start, allowing 13 runs with 12 earned off 21 hits in 6.0 innings.
• For Caldwell, Cain went 3-4 with a home run, three RBI and two runs scored. Mariah Culver got the start, allowing two hits over 5.2 innings
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Leading off the top of the first with back-to-back singles, Caldwell scored both baserunners with Conway touching home plate on a throw to catch Testa stealing a base with Testa rounding the bases off a Misiur single while a Clippers' error allowed Misiur to score to give Caldwell a 3-0 lead.
• Caldwell used three-straight hits with two outs in the top of the third to load the bases, scoring Lauren Sandoval on a Ramirez singe to make it 4-0.
• The Cougars used three-straight in the top of the fifth to plate Sandoval and Cain, with a two-out double from Conway sending Stansell and Daly home to create an 8-0 score.
• Reaching base on a one-out single in the bottom of the fifth, Cruz sent Gardus home off a triple to make it 8-1.
• Cain hit a three-run homer with no outs in the top of sixth, with Zavala sending Kayla Daly home off a single before scoring on a Rodriguez base hit to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia recorded four hits, the Cougars tallied 21.
• The Clippers left six runners on base, Caldwell stranded seven.
• Concordia had one error.
The softball team hosts Wilmington University (Del.) on Saturday, April 6 with first pitch for the conference doubleheader scheduled for 2 p.m.