BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – Fueled by a pair of career-highs from freshman guard Sara Hopkins (Mountain Top, Pa.), the Concordia College New York women's basketball team overcame a double-digit second-half deficit to visiting Goldey-Beacom College and took the lead midway through the final frame but could not maintain the advantage over the visiting Lightning in a 58-51 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) loss on Saturday afternoon.
• Concordia drops to 2-11, 0-4 in CACC action.
• Bloomfield improves to 7-7, 3-2 in league play.
• Hopkins set her personal-bests with 16 points and five assists.
• Sophomore guard Cameron Corbett (Staten Island, N.Y.) chipped in 14 points on top of five rebounds, four steals and three assists.
• Sophomore forward Jordyn Hornbuckle (Hopkinsville, Ky.) pulled down a team-high 10 rebounds.
• For Goldey-Beacom, Alanna Speaks scored 17 points while Amanda McGrogan scored 16 with six rebounds, seven assists and two steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Goldey-Beacom got on the scoreboard first off a triple, with a Hopkins layup making it 3-2 with 7:18 left in the frame. The Lightning scored six-straight to extend the gap before a triple and jump shot from junior guard Nicole Nicholson (Staten Island, N.Y.) made it 9-7 with 4:35 remaining in the half. GBC ended the frame on a 9-3 run to hold an 18-10 advantage.
• A pair of Hopkins' triples highlighted an 8-0 Concordia run to even the score at 18-all with 6:44 left in the half, only for a 9-0 retort from the Lightning creating a 27-18 score with 3:39 remaining. Hornbuckle ended the run with a basket, with three points for the Lightning before the end of the quarter making it 30-20 at the half.
• After exchanging the opening 10 points of the third quarter to keep the 10-point separation at 35-25, the Clippers used a 10-3 run to make it a one-possession contest at 38-35 with 1:46 remaining in the frame. Both sides added two points to their totals before the end the quarter, with sophomore guard Jackie Ciccotto (Staten Island, N.Y.) connecting on a layup for Concordia, making it 40-37.
• Concordia evened the score with a Corbett triple to start the final quarter, taking their first lead of the contest at 45-44 of a Ciccotto jumper with 7:46 to play. GBC reclaimed the advantage off a layup, with a Corbett three pointer propelling the Clippers to a 48-46 lead before a jumper and pair of free throws for the visitors gave them a 50-48 edge with 3:56 remaining. Corbett quickly evened the score with a layup, but the Lightning answered with a layup on the ensuing play and ended the contest on an 8-1 run.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 19-60 shots, going 6-17 from three-point territory and 7-11 from the free throw line.
• Goldey-Beacom finished 19-49 from the field, 4-21 from distance and 16-24 from the free throw line.
• Concordia dished out 12 assists versus 10 for the visitors
• Concordia committed 19 turnovers, resulting in 20 points for GBC. The Lightning committed 19 turnovers, leading to 20 Clippers' points.
• Concordia held a 39-38 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia recorded nine steals with while GBC stole the ball nine times with 10 blocks.