ORANGEBURG, N.Y. – Sophomore forward Sabrina Clement (Queens, N.Y.) set her career-high in rebounds on Wednesday evening for the Concordia College New York women's basketball team with 14 and fell one point shy of her first collegiate double-double in the Clippers 80-49 setback at Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) North-Division leader Dominican College (N.Y.).
• Concordia drop to 3-13, 1-6 in CACC play.
• Dominican improves to 7-9 overall, 5-2 in league action.
• Half of Clement's rebounds came on the offensive side.
• Sophomore guard Saundra Cleckley (Queens, N.Y.) led Concordia with 14 points, four steals and two assists.
• Sophomore guard Cameron Corbett (Staten Island, N.Y.) chipped in 11 points with three steals.
• For Dominican, Samantha McClutchy scored a team-best 14 points with 11 rebounds while Jasmine Gee dished out four assists with 10 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Dominican scored the opening two baskets of the contest before a Corbett jumper cut the deficit in half at 4-2 with 6:50 remaining in the quarter. Concordia evened the score at 7-all with 4:47 remaining off a freshman guard Sara Hopkins (Mountain Top, Pa.) three pointer and two Corbett free throws following a Chargers' triple, with an equal retort from Dominican giving the hosts a 12-7 advantage. Junior guard Nicole Nicholson (Staten Island, N.Y.) recorded a steal and layup to end Dominican's run, with a triple for the home side before the quarter ended creating a 15-9 score.
• Concordia used a pair of Cleckley layups sandwiching a Corbett basket in a 6-0 run to even the score at 15-15 with 7:48 remaining in the second quarter. Concordia kept the score even at 17-17 off a Clement layup before an 8-2 Dominican run made it 25-19 with 1:18 to go in the half. Concordia scored the final basket of the half via a Cleckley layup, with a Chargers' free throw making it 26-21 at halftime.
• Dominican created a double-digit lead at 33-22 early in the third quarter, extending the separation to 47-23 before a three pointer from Nicholson with 2:31 remaining in the half made it 47-26. Clement, Cleckley and sophomore guard Jordyn Hornbuckle (Hopkinsville, Ky.) all contributed in a 5-0 run, with a last-second basket by Dominican making it 49-31 going into the final stanza.
• Concordia started the fourth quarter with seven of the opening 10 points, only for a 7-1 response making it 58-39 with 6:26 to go. The two sides exchanged baskets with junior center Amiya Rankins (Somerset, N.J.) scoring for the Clippers only for an 11-2 stretch extending the separation to 71-43 with 3:11 to go. The Chargers created a game-high 31-point lead at 78-47, with both sides adding two points to their totals to create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 15-53 shots, going 3-18 from three-point territory and 16-28 from the free throw line.
• Dominican finished 26-51 from the field, 11-20 from distance and 17-25 from the free throw line.
• Concordia dished out six assists versus 22 for the visitors.
• Concordia committed 18 turnovers, resulting in 20 points for Dominican. The Chargers committed 22 turnovers, leading to 19 points.
• Dominican held a 40-28 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia got 16 points off the bench, while Dominican got 29 off its bench.
• Concordia recorded 12 steals while Dominican stole the ball 10 times with one block.
The women's basketball team returns to the Meyer Athletic Center on Saturday, Jan. 19 against Georgian Court University in CACC play at 1 p.m.