ORLANDO, Fla. – Senior Kristel Kalm (Stockholm, Sweden) and sophomore Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nev.) both prevailed in three-set matches on Wednesday afternoon, tilting the Concordia College New York women's tennis team's match against the University of Findlay in its favor, 5-1.
• Concordia improves to 13-3 overall.
• Findlay falls to 3-4.
• No doubles matches were played.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Senior Tadi Mrewa (East London, South Africa) routed Eliza Kirov in the opening set on court four 6-0, fending off the Oiler in the second set 7-5.
• Sophomore Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) fell at the third flight 6-1, 6-3 against Laiying Alvarado.
• Sta Cruz and Mikaela Hindenlang traded 6-2 sets at the sixth position to force the super tiebreaker, which the sophomore took 10-8.
• Sophomore Franziska Putschbach (Moenchweiler, Germany) bested Christina Nieto Soto in straight sets 6-3, 6-4 at the fifth slot.
• Kalm won the opening set on court two 6-3, but Laura Brito forced the super tiebreaker behind a 7-5 second set result with Kalm besting the Oiler 10-2.
• Sophomore Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) took the first set at the top spot 6-1, with Samantha Sweet's attempt to force a super tiebreaker falling short in the second set 7-5.
The women's tennis team takes on Grand Valley State University on Thursday, Mar. 7 with first serve scheduled for 3 p.m.