MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Concordia College New York baseball team pushed regionally-ranked LIU Post and No. 9 nationally Southern New Hampshire to the brink on Saturday in a doubleheader, with the Pioneers using a walk-off to take a 5-4 decision while a four-run 14th inning lifted the Penman to a 9-5 result.
• Concordia falls to 0-3.
• LIU Post improves to 3-4.
• Southern New Hampshire improves to 4-2
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Junior first baseman Joseph Impeduglia (Staten Island, N.Y.) went 1-4 with a home run, two RBI, two runs scored and a walk.
• Senior right fielder Andre Jackson (Massapequa, N.Y.) went 2-3 with a double RBI and walk.
• Junior catcher Denny DeLos Santos (Queens, N.Y.) tallied a RBI and walk.
• Junior right-handed pitcher Michael Romano (Yonkers, N.Y.) got the start, allowing four runs off six hits in 5.1 innings with two strikeouts.
• Junior righty Connor Stapleton (Staten Island, N.Y.) received the loss after throwing the final three innings with one run allowed and seven strikeouts.
• For LIU Post, Dave Brehm went 2-4 with two runs scored while Zach Fritz and Joe Piscitelli both went 2-4 with a pair of RBI. On the mound, Brian Kavanagh help the Clippers without a run over three innings to get the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Concordia capitalized on four walks and a hit by pitch in the top of the first to score Impeduglia and Senior shortstop Tyler Epple (Levittown, N.Y.) to take an early 2-0 lead.
• The Pioneers responded in the bottom of the first, loading the bases with no outs before a pair of singles sandwiching a groundout to the pitcher platted four runs to make it 4-2.
• Concordia evened the score at 4-4 in the top of the fifth, using a two-RBI home run from Impeduglia to score the junior and sophomore right fielder Jake Partridge (Bardonia, N.Y.).
• Leading off the bottom of the ninth with a single, a one-out single from Fritz sent Brehm home for the game-winning run.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia tallied four hits while the Pioneers had nine.
• The Clippers left eight runners on base, LIU Post stranded 10.
• Concordia committed two errors.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Impeduglia went 2-7 with a run scored.
• Jackson went 2-4 with two walks, a stolen base and a RBI.
• Partridge scored a run with a RBI and walk.
• On the mound, freshman righty Sean Malamud (Staten Island, N.Y.) tossed 5.2 scoreless innings.
• For Southern New Hampshire, Jake Coro went 3-7 with a home run while Alexy Kevin went 2-5 with a homer run and two runs scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Southern New Hampshire used a solo home run from Alexy in the bottom of the second to take a 1-0 lead.
• The Penmen added to their lead in the top of the third off a one-out double from Hernandez, scoring Faircloth and Coro to make it 3-0.
• Loading the bases in the bottom of the third off a walk, single and fielding error, back-to-back walks for sophomore catcher Hermes Abreu (Bayshore, N.Y.) and Jackson scored Partridge and Impeduglia to make it 3-2.
• Concordia took a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the fourth as senior first baseman Andrew Medina (Brentwood, N.Y.) scored on a groundout and senior center fielder Jaylin Martinez (Paramus, N.J.) scored on a passed ball.
• SNH evened the score in the top of the fifth off a Zbierski double, scoring Faircloth.
• The Clippers used a two-out single from Epple in the bottom of the seventh to score junior second baseman Kendell Luquis (New Rochelle, N.Y.) and take a 5-4 lead.
• A solo home run from Coro in the top of the eighth evened the score at 5-all.
• Neither side scored in the ninth, sending the contest to extra innings.
• With the score still tied in the top of the 14th, SNH loaded the bases with no outs and scored four runs to take a 9-5 lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia tallied nine hits while the Penmen had 17.
• The Clippers left 11 runners on base, SNH stranded 17.
• Both sides committed one errors.
The baseball team concludes its Myrtle Beach Trip on Sunday, Feb. 24 against the University of New Haven at noon.