BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – With the score tied going into the eighth inning in both games on Tuesday afternoon, visiting Bloomfield College scored two runs in each to take the lead late against the Concordia College New York baseball team in a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader sweep by scores of 5-3 and 4-2.
• Concordia falls to 5-12, 0-2 in CACC play.
• Bloomfield improves to 2-16, 2-0 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Senior first baseman Andrew Medina (Brentwood, N.Y.) went 2-3 at the plate with a run scored and one walk.
• Sophomore second baseman Kendell Luquis (New Rochelle, N.Y.) went 1-3 with a run scored and RBI.
• Junior RHP Michael Romano (Yonkers, N.Y.) got the start on the mound, allowing three runs off four hits in 6.1 innings with six strikeouts.
• Junior RHP Jacob Bannon (Glendale, N.Y.) received the loss after allowing two runs in 1.1 innings.
• For Bloomfield, Khalid Legette went 2-3 with three runs scored and one walk while Wilfrido Valenzuela allowed three runs off seven hits in 7.0 innings with eight strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Leading off the contest with a single and advancing to third off a balk and failed pickoff attempt, Legette scored the opening run of the afternoon on a groundout from Elvis Lopez.
• A solo home run from Jhoan Rodriguez in the top of the second made it 2-0.
• Leading off the bottom of the second with a base hit, freshman right fielder Matt Rinaldi (Eastchester, N.Y.) scored his first run at the Clipper Baseball Field on a senior center fielder Jaylin Martinez (Paramus, N.J.) single to make it 2-1.
• Getting the leadoff batter on base in the bottom of the fifith via a Medina single, Concordia flipped the one-run lead off back-to-back two-out singles from Luquis and sophomore left fielder Jake Partridge (Bardonia, N.Y.) to score Medina and Luquis and create a 3-2 score.
• Bloomfield knotted the score in the top of the sixth, leading off with a base on balls for Leggete before scoring before scoring on a groundout from Anthony Elefante to make it 3-3.
• The Bears took the lead in the top of eight, leading off the stanza with a single before scoring on a two-out single from Tyree Bradley while a basses-loaded base hit from Jason Holgui scored Bradley to create a 5-3
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Both sides tallied eight hits
• The Clippers left three runners on base, Bloomfield stranded five.
• Bloomfield recorded one error
• Concordia stole one base
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Senior shortstop Tyler Epple (Levittown, N.Y.) went 1-2 with a run scored and stolen base.
• Medina went 1-1 with a double
• Rinaldi went 1-3 with a RBI and walk,
• Junior RHP Enrico Locascio (Staten Island, N.Y.) held Bloomfield to one run off six hits in 6.0 innings with six strikeouts.
• Freshman RHP Sean Malamud (Staten Island, N.Y.) tossed the final two innings, allowing three runs with two earned in the loss.
• For Bloomfield, Rodriguez went 3-3 with a home run and two runs scored. Yordani Nicasio held Concordia off the scoreboard for the final three innings in the winning effort.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• With the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the second, junior center fielder Nick Vlahakis (Oceanside, N.Y.) sent junior catcher Denny DeLos Santos (Queens, N.Y.) home off a single to give Concordia a 1-0 lead.
• Reaching base on a one-out double, Rodriguez evened the score in the top of the fourth off a Holguin groundout.
• Rinaldi scored Epple with two outs in the bottom of the fifth to make it 2-1.
• Using back-to-back singles to start the top of the seventh, Bloomfield knotted the score on a double play.
• Bloomfield took the lead in the top of the eighth off a two-run homer from Rodriguez.
• Concordia managed to get the tying run on second base with one out in the top of the eighth off a single from senior third baseman John Calabrese (Lodi, N.J.) and double from Medina, but back-to-back groundouts ended the contest.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia tallied six hits while the Bears had 10.
• The Clippers left 10 runners on base, Bloomfield stranded six.
• Both sides committed one error.
• Concordia stole one base
The baseball team concludes its home-and-home series against Bloomfield on Friday, Mar. 22 with first pitch slatted for 11 a.m.