PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Behind a career-outing from senior first baseman Andrew Medina (Brentwood, N.Y.), junior designated hitter Joseph Impeduglia (Staten Island, N.Y.) and sophomore catcher Hermes Abreu (Bayshore, N.Y.), plus junior second baseman Kendell Luquis' (New Rochelle, N.Y.) first home run of the season, the Concordia College New York baseball team jumped out to an early 6-0 lead against host Jefferson University in the opening contest of a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader with 12 total runs over the opening four frames en route to a 15-5 victory while the Rams took the second outing 6-4 for a series split.
• Concordia moves to 7-14, 2-4 in CACC play.
• Jefferson moves to 4-14, 2-2 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Abreu went a career-best 4-6 with two RBI and two runs scored.
• Medina went 2-5 with a personal-record four RBI, two runs scored and a walk.
• Luquis went 2-4 with a home run, two RBI, two runs scored and one walk.
• Impeduglia went 2-4 with two RBI, two runs scored, a career-high two stolen bases and one walk.
• Senior RHP Raymond Rosado (Brooklyn, N.Y.) got the start, holding Jefferson to four runs with three earned off four hits in 7.0 innings with four strikeouts in the winning effort.
• For Jefferson, Austin Torres went 2-4 with a home run and two runs scored. Ryan Lucas received the loss after allowing 10 runs in 3.0 innings while Rob Valliancourt tossed a team-high 5.0 innings with five strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Concordia loaded the bases with one out in the top of the first off a double from junior center fielder Nick Vlahakis (Oceanside, N.Y.), senior shortstop Tyler Epple (Levittown, N.Y.) hit by pitch and Abreu single, scoring the opening run of the game on a senior right fielder Andre Jackson (Massapequa, N.Y.) hit by pitch before a two-RBI single from Medina, sacrifice fly from sophomore left fielder Jake Partridge (Bardonia, N.Y.) and back-to-back singles from Luquis and Vlahakis created a 6-0 advantage. Vlahakis, Epple, Abreu, Jackson, Medina and senior third baseman John Calabrese (Lodi, N.J.) all scored in the opening frame.
• After leading off the top of the second with a groundout, Abreu and Jackson connected on a single and double back-to-back with both scoring off a Medina base hit to make it 8-0.
• Jefferson used a two-out single from Ryan Gonzalez to score Chase Fike for their first run and making it 8-1.
• Luquis hit a one-out solo home run in the top of the third, while an Abreu single scored Impeduglia who reached base via a walk to extend the separation to 10-1.
• Leading off the bottom of the third with a hit by pitch, Arturo Figueroa scored off a Robert Wood double with the Ram touching home plate on a Concordia error to make it 10-3.
• Opening the fourth stanza with a base on balls, Medina scored on a bases-loaded hit by pitch before an Impeduglia sacrifice fly sent Calabrese home to boast a 12-3 edge.
• Torres hit a one-out solo home run in the bottom of the fourth to make it 12-4.
• Reaching base on a wild pitch with two outs in the top of the sixth, Luquis rounded the bases off an Impeduglia single to give Concordia a 13-4 lead.
• The Clippers used three-straight hits from Impeduglia, Epple and Abreu with two outs in the top of the eighth to score Impeduglia and Epple to take a 15-4 advantage.
• Jefferson loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the ninth, using a Valbuena sacrifice fly to score Torres and create the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia recorded 14 hits while the Rams had seven.
• The Clippers left 10 runners on base, Jefferson stranded five.
• Concordia had one error, Jefferson committed three.
• Concordia stole four bases, Bloomfield swiped one.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Epple went 2-4 with a run scored.
• Vlahakis went 2-4.
• Luquis went 1-2 with two RBI.
• Junior RHP Jacob Bannon (Glandale, N.Y.) got the start, allowing five runs with two earned off six hits in 4.1 innings of work.
• For Jefferson, Wood went 2-4 with a RBI and run scored while Torres went 2-3 with two RBI. Andrew Dark got the start for the Rams, allowing four runs off 10 hits in 5.0 innings while Brandon Smith held Concordia without a hit in 2.0 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Jefferson took advantage of a Clippers' error in the bottom of the second with two outs, using back-to-back singles to score Gonzalez before another Concordia miscue allowed Lorenzo and Santiago to touch home plate and create a 3-0 score.
• Back-to-back doubles with two outs in the bottom of the third from McGee and Torres platted McGee to extend Jefferson's lead to 4-0.
• Concordia cut the separation in the half in the top of the fourth, getting Partridge and Calabrese on base via a double and single before a Luquis base hit scored both to make it 4-2.
• Leading off the top of the fifth with back-to-back singles, consecutive base hits from Abreu and Medina platted Impeduglia and Epple to knot the score at 4-all.
• Leading off the bottom of the fifth with a single, Wood rounded the bases off a Torres single to give the Rams a 5-4 advantage.
• Jefferson added an insurance run to its lead in the bottom of the sixth, getting Valbuena on base via a hit by pitch before sending him home on a Wood single to make it 6-4.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia tallied 10 hits while the Rams had eight.
• The Clippers left five runners on base, Jefferson stranded six.
• Concordia committed three errors.
The baseball team hosts Post University on Tuesday, Mar. 26 in the first leg of the home-and-home CACC North Division Series with first pitch for the doubleheader slated for 1 p.m.