WORCESTER, Mass. – The Concordia College (N.Y.) men's basketball team concluded play at the Assumption Tip-Off Classic on Saturday afternoon against the host, falling to the Greyhounds 82-65.
• Concordia falls to 0-2.
• Assumption improves to 2-0.
• Redshirt-junior guard Cedrick McFadden (Washington, D.C.) paced the offense with a game-high 21 points on .533 shooting (8-15) while chipping in four rebounds two steals and one assist.
• Sophomore guard Baron Goodridge (Bronx, N.Y.) finished with 11 points and a team-high three assists plus one block.
• Sophomore forward Alex White Jr. (Middletown, Conn.) matched his career high in rebounds, set yesterday, with a team-high eight to go with two steals, two assists and a block.
• For Assumption, Branislav Vujadinovic scored 18 points with three steals and two blocks while Damien Rance recorded eight rebounds and Patrick Fleming tallied seven assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• White Jr. scored the Clippers opening six points via two free throws and back-to-back jump shots, with Assumption matching his total for a 6-6 score with 17:19 left in the half.
• Following a Greyhounds triple that gave the hosts a 9-6 lead, the Clippers used back-to-back layups from junior guard Brandon Fields (Washington, D.C.) and Goodridge to take a 10-9 advantage with 14:56 to go in the half. A triple by Assumption and deep two-point shot from McFadden evened the score again at 12-all with 13:45 remaining in the first half.
• The two sides exchanged jump shots and three pointers to keep the score knotted at 17-17 after 10:10 minutes of action, with the Greyhounds triple sparking a 13-0 run that created a double-digit separation at 27-17 with 7:42 to go in the half.
• Senior forward Stephen Milhaven (Port Washington, N.Y.) ended the Greyhounds' run via a jump shot, but Assumption's defense held Concordia without back-to-back baskets until a three pointer and layup from Goodridge made it 38-28 with 2:25 left. Assumption ended the half with the final basket, created a 40-28 score at the intermission.
• Assumption scored the opening nine points of the second half to extend the separation to 49-28 with 18:16 remaining.
• Trailing 54-30, a triple from McFadden sparked a 15-2 stretch that cut the separation down to 11 at 56-45 with 10:12 to go. Assumption countered with eight of the ensuing 10 points to end the rally and create a 64-47 score with 6:04 left to play.
• Concordia tried to stage a late comeback with a 5-0 spurt coming from a Milhaven triple and two free throws from Goodridge, but an equal response from the Greyhounds kept the separation at 69-52 with 2:49 remaining.
• The two sides split the final 26 points with Goodridge, Milhaven, McFaden Fields and sophomore guard Jared Young all scoring down the stretch to keep the 17-point separation
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 26-62 shots, going 6-20 from three-point territory and 7-11 from the free throw line.
• Assumption finished 26-59 from the field, 10-23 from distance and 20-22 from the free throw line.
• Concordia dished out nine assists versus 18 for the hosts.
• Assumption held a 40-31 advantage in rebounds
• Concordia' bench scored 11 points while Assumption got 22 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded seven steals with three blocks while Assumption stole the ball nine times with three blocks.
• The Clippers scored 10 fast-break points versus 23 for Assumption.
Concordia hosts Mercy College on Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. in the Clippers home opener.