BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – With a tied score and under 30 seconds left to play on Wednesday evening, redshirt-senior guard Cedrick McFadden (Washington, D.C.) connected on a three pointer to give the Concordia College (N.Y.) men's basketball team the lead with an offensive foul for visiting Mercy College on the other end securing the Clippers' 82-79 triumph.
• Concordia improves to 1-2.
• Mercy drops to 0-2.
• McFadden eclipsed 20 points for the third-consecutive contest, scoring a season-best 25 with a season-high eight assists.
• Junior guard Brandon Fields (Washington, D.C.) chipped in 18 points with a steal.
• Sophomore forward Alex White Jr. (Middletown, Conn.) logged 12 points and a team-best seven rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Baron Goodridge (Bronx, N.Y.) scored 11 points.
• For Mercy, Bryan Griffin scored 27 points while Tawatne Anderson Jr. recorded six rebounds and Sal Barbetto dished out six assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Mercy jumped out to an early 5-0 advantage. McFadden made back-to-back layups to cut the deficit to one at 5-4, only for a 9-2 stretch by the Mavericks creating a 14-6 score with 15:39 left in the half.
• The Clippers brought it back to a one-possession contest at 16-13 via a 7-2 run off a pair of free throws from senior forward Stephen Milhaven (Port Washington, N.Y.), a triple from McFadden and a jump shot from Fields.
• Mercy recreated its eight-point cushion with five-straight points, but back-to-back baskets from Goodridge cut the separation in half at 21-17 with 9:50 left in the half.
• Concordia ended the half on an 11-4 run to go into the intermission tied 35-35.
• A made free throw from White Jr. in the opening minute of the second half gave Concordia its first lead of the night at 36-35, but a 6-0 run by the visitors made it 41-36 with 17:36 to go.
• Trailing by as many as seven at 44-37 with 16:59 still to play, the Clippers used a triple from Fields to spark a 7-0 run to take a 47-46 lead. Mercy used back-to-back baskets to reclaim the advantage at 50-47, with an and-one for White Jr. knotting the score at 50-all with 13:54 remaining.
• The two sides exchanged three-point possessions to keep the score tied before a pair of McFadden free throws and junior forward Jesse Breeding (Cortland Manor, N.Y.) layup created from a sophomore guard Jared Young (Mount Vernon, N.Y.) steal gave Concordia a 57-53 edge.
• The two sides split the ensuing 18 points to keep the four point separation until a McFadden jumper and Fields triple extended the gap to seven at 69-62 with 6:23 left.
• Concordia created a team-high eight-point lead at 79-71 with 2:15 to play before eight unanswered Maverick points evened the score at 79-79.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 28-52 shots, going 9-23 from three-point territory and 17-23 from the free throw line.
• Mercy finished 27-56 from the field, 7-21 from distance and 18-20 from the free throw line.
• Concordia dished out 14 assists versus 17 for the visitors.
• Mercy held a 31-27 advantage in rebounds
• Concordia's bench scored 12 points while Mercy got 17 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded eight steals with one block while Mercy stole the ball nine times with one block.
Concordia heads to NYIT on Sunday, Nov. 18 for a 12 p.m. contest.