NEW HAVEN, Conn. –The Concordia College New York men's basketball team traveled to Southern Connecticut State University on Saturday afternoon, heading into halftime against the Owls with a manageable eight-point separation before a 61-point second-half showing by the host propelled them to a 110-77 decision.
• Concordia falls to 0-7.
• Southern Conn. improves to 3-2.
• Freshman forward Dan Porcic (Putnam, Conn.) scored a team-high 16 points with four of his five field goals made coming from beyond the arc.
• Senior guard Brandon Fields (Washington, D.C.) chipped in 14 points with a team-high seven rebounds.
• Freshman guard Dion Herrington (Englewood, N.J.) scored 12 points with a team-best four assists.
• For SCSU, C.J. Seaforth scored 24 points with five assists and two steals while Taurus Adams II chipped in 16 points with 11 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Fields scored the Clippers opening four points off a free throw and triple, sandwiching an Owls jumper to give Concordia an early 4-2 lead with 19:32 remaining in the half.
• SCSU went on a 13-0 to pull ahead 15-4 with 16:37 left in the half.
• Sophomore forward Devon Sims (Centreville, Va.) ended the run with layup, countered by a Southern Conn. layup before an 8-0 run by the Clippers made it 17-13 with 15:08 remaining in the half.
• The host created a double-digit separation at 32-21, adding seven more points to its lead before a 15-6 run by Concordia made it 45-36 with 1:35 remaining in the half.
• Concordia scored five of the final nine points of the half to create a 49-41 halftime score.
• SCSU scored eight of the opening 10 points of the second half to take a 57-43 advantage with 16:59 left to play.
• Fields scored the Clippers ensuing seven points, with the host scoring eight during the stretch to create a 65-50 score with 14:08 remaining.
• Porcic followed a Fields' triple with a jump shot to make it 65-52, with Southern Conn. holding Concordia without baskets for the remaining 13:19 minutes of action
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 29-68 shots, going 8-23 from three-point territory and 11-17 from the free throw line.
• Southern Conn. finished 40-70 from the field, 14-26 from distance and 16-16 from the free throw line.
• Concordia recorded seven assists while SCSU had 18.
• Southern Conn held a 46-26 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia committed six turnovers, resulting in nine points for the Owls. Southern Conn. had 10 turnovers, leading to four points.
• Concordia' bench scored 25 points while the hosts got 32 from its bench.
• Concordia recorded three steals with one block while Southern Conn. stole the ball three times with three blocks.
The men's basketball team treks to Mercy College on Tuesday, Nov. 26 for a 7 p.m. non-conference clash.