BRON, N.Y. – The Concordia College (N.Y.) men's tennis team participated in Fordham University Invitational over the weekend, taking on a field of Division I programs Fordham University, La Salle University and Fairleigh Dickinson University.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• In the singles Flight A, sophomore William Nilsson (Bastad, Sweden) fell to Fordham's Max Green 6-0, 6-0 in the quarterfinals. Senior Eymeric Chevalier (Bordeaux, France) lost to La Salle's Rogelio Gonzalez 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (7) in the quarterfinals.
• Freshman Maximillian Grundmann advanced to the Flight B semifinals with a 6-2, 6-0 outing against Connor Merrill of La Salle before a 6-4, 6-1 decision against Alex Makatsaria from Fordham. Sophomore Henry Masters (Northampton, England) fell in the quarterfinals to Andris Gudins of Fairleigh Dickinson 6-4, 6-4.
• Sophomore Tomer Mendler earned a bye in the opening round of the 13-man Flight C bracket, falling to Ivan Solans Diaz of FDU 6-4, 7-5 in the quarterfinals. Senior Lars Olson (Chatham, N.Y.) lost against Eduardo Cabral of Fairleigh Dickinson 6-2, 6-3 in the opening round while sophomore Joseph Queralt (Ardsley, N.Y.) fell 6-0, 6-0 to Jeremy Chung and freshman Nicolas Sitaras dropped a 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (2) decision against FDU's Ryu Kozuki,
• Chevalier bested Finn Kemper of Fordham 7-6 (5), 6-4 in his consolation match. Grundmann won his first set over the Knights Moric Budinsky 6-3 before a 6-4 second set forced the tiebreaker point which went Budinsky's way 13-11. Masters also took his opposition to three sets in his consolation match, a 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (4) contest against Patrick Pascual from La Salle while Sitaras fell 6-1, 6-1 against Fordham's Jofre Segarra.
• Chevalier and Masters paired up in the doubles Flight A, falling 7-5 to the duo of Green and Kemper. Nilsson and Grundmann also competed in the flight, dropping a 6-2 decision against Gonzalez and Francesco Mowrey. The Clippers' pairs made easy work of their opposition in the back draw, with Chevalier and Master besting Merrill and Colin Lucius 6-1 and Nillson and Grundmann overpowering Allen Thornes and Fabian Hansch Mauritzson from Fordham 6-2.
• In the doubles Flight B, Mendler and Olson fell to Segarra and Steven Duka 6-2 before rebounding with a 7-6 (4) triumph over Pascual and Makatsaria in the back draw.
Sophomore Michele Fenoaltea (Rome, Italy) and Chevalier head to the ITA Cup, where the East Regional singles and doubles champions will take on the other seven Division II regional champions for a berth in the Oracle ITA National Fall Championship. Play in Rome, Georgia begins on Thursday, Oct. 11.