LAKEWOOD, N.J. – Freshman left fielder Carly Berezny (Oxford, N.J.) and freshman first baseman Ashdon Clark (Gouldsboro, Pa.) both hit their first collegiate home runs on Sunday afternoon, accounting for a combined four runs in the Concordia College New York softball team's 9-0, 9-5 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) setbacks against host Georgian Court University.
• Concordia falls to 5-7 overall, 1-3 in CACC play.
• Georgian Court improves to 20-5, 5-1 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Sophomore shortstop Stephanie Ryder (New Rochelle) went 1-2
• Senior designated player Allison Beltz (Whitehall, Pa.) went 1-2
• Freshman right fielder Jordan Bordonaro (Lake Grove, N.Y.) went 1-3
• Sophomore RHP Ashley Walsh (Scranton, Pa.) got the start on the mound for Concordia, allowing nine runs with five earned off 10 hits in 4.0 innings with one strikeout.
• For Georgian Court, Samantha Reilly went 3-3 with two homes and four RBI while Marissa Trezza went 2-3 with two home runs. Jessica O'Neil received the victory for GCU on the mound, limiting the Clippers to two hits in 3.0 innings of work.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Georgian Court used back-to-back home runs from Reilly and Trezza in the bottom of the first with one out to score three total runs and take an early 3-0 lead.
• Opening the bottom of the second with a Malia Black run from back-to-back base hits and a throwing error by Concordia, the Lions added to its lead off a RBI groundout from Malaya Black to plate Caitlin Hughes plus three runs via back-to-back home runs from Reilly and Trezza to boast an 8-0 edge
• GCU added an insurance run to its lead in the bottom of the third, using a RBI groundout from Eryka Springer to score Emily Lynch and make it 9-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia tallied three hits while the Lions had 10.
• The Clippers left four runner on base, Georgian Court stranded two.
• Concordia recorded two errors.
• GCU stole one base.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Berezny went 2-3 with two runs scored and one walk.
• Clark reached base in all four of her at bats, going 3-3 with three RBI, one run scored and one walk.
• Sophomore third Baseman Carly Acuña (North Hills, Calif.) went 1-2 with a RBI.
• Junior RHP MacKenna Powell (Milford, Pa.) allowed nine runs with seven earned off 11 hits in 6.0 innings with four strikeouts.
• For GCU, Hughes went 2-4 with a home run, three runs scored and two RBI while Springer went 2-3 with a home run. Mikayla Gilgert tossed a team-high 5.2 innings, allowing three Concordia runs off five hits with four strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Berezny gave Concordia a 1-0 lead in the top of the third on a two-out solo home run.
• Leading off the bottom of third with a single, Black stole a pair of bases to move to third base before a Malia Black base hit platted the Lion while a fielding error and wild pitch allowed two more GCU runs to score and create a 3-1 lead.
• GCU used a leadoff homer from Springer in the bottom of the fourth to extend the separation to 4-1.
• After opening the bottom of the fifth with a single from Hughes and Salamon triple to score a run, a Reilly walk and Trezza home run propelled the host to an 8-1 advantage
• Leading off the top of the sixth with back-to-back walks, Clark blasted a three-run home run while a senior designated plater Tori Tansley (Old Forge, Pa.) double and Acuna single in consecutive at bats platted a pinch-running senior Yeisy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) to make it 8-5.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia tallied six hits while the Lions had 11.
• The Clippers left five runners on base, Georgian Court stranded three.
• Concordia committed two errors.
• GCU stole four bases.
The softball team hosts Bloomfield College in league play on Wednesday, Mar. 27 with first pitch for the doubleheader slatted for 3 p.m.