BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – The Concordia College New York softball team scored eight runs over the final two innings in the first outing of Saturday afternoon's Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) doubleheader, capped by freshman first baseman Ashdon Clark's (Gouldsboro, Pa.) first collegiate grand slam, with junior right-handed pitcher MacKenna Powell (Milford, Pa.) setting her career high in strikeouts in an 8-7 triumph over Holy Family University before a 4-0 setback in game two for a twin-bill split.
• Concordia moves to 10-16 overall, 6-12 in CACC play.
• Holy Family moves to 3-33, 3-15 in league action.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 1)
• Second baseman Ellen Little (Port Deposit, Md.) went 2-3 with two runs scored, one RBI and one walk.
• Clark went 1-3 with a grand slam and two runs scored.
• Sophomore shortstop Stephanie Ryder (New Rochelle, N.Y.) went 2-4 with one run scored and one RBI.
• Senior first baseman Tori Tansley (Old Forge, Pa.) went 1-3 with two RBI.
• Powell tossed a complete game, allowing seven runs with two earned off 17 hits on top of five strikeouts.
• For Holy Family, Madelyn Yeager went 4-5 with a home run, two runs scored and two RBI while Tyler Beccari went 3-4 with one run scored. Hannah Miravich tossed a team-high 5.2 innings in the start, allowing four unearned runs off five hits to receive the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1)
• Holy Family took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth off a two-run home run from Yeager.
• Reaching base off an error to start the top of the sixth, senior center fielder Audrey Gardus (Carbondale, Pa.) rounded the bases off a one-out Little single with a two-out single from Ryder platting Little and Tansley double sending Clark and Ryder home to make it 4-2.
• Loading the bases with two outs in the top of the seventh, Clark propelled Concordia to an 8-2 advantage with a grand slam.
• The host tried to stage a comeback in the bottom of the seventh, taking advantage of two Clippers' errors to score five runs before a groundout ended the rally.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 1)
• Concordia tallied eight hits while the Tigers had 17.
• The Clippers left four runner on base, Holy Family stranded 11.
• Both sides had three errors.
STANDOUT PERFORMERS (GAME 2)
• Freshman right fielder Jordan Bordonaro (Lake Grove, N.Y.) went 1-2 with two walks.
• Freshman RHP Madison Shura (Wallingford, Conn.) threw a complete game with four runs allowed off six hits in 6.0 innings.
• For Holy Family, Elaina Hansen went 2-3 with a home run, two runs scored and one RBI while Sam Klem went 1-3 with a home run and three RBI. Ashley Remington tossed a complete game, allowing one hit in 7.0 innings while striking out 13 batters.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2)
• Holy Family took an early 3-0 lead off a three-run home run from Klem with one out in the top of the first.
• A two-out solo home run from Hansen in the bottom of the fifth created the final score.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE (GAME 2)
• Concordia tallied one hit, the Tigers had six.
• The Clippers left nine runners on base, Holy Family stranded four.
• Concordia committed one error.
The softball team travels to Holy Family University on Saturday, April 13 for a conference doubleheader starting at 12 p.m.