BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – The Concordia College New York women's basketball team played its final game inside the Meyer Athletic Center of the 2018-19 season on Saturday afternoon, falling to ninth-ranked Jefferson University 74-46 in Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) play.
• Concordia falls to 5-19, 3-12 in CACC play.
• No. 9 Jefferson improves to 23-1, 14-1 in league action.
• Junior guard Nicole Nicholson (Staten Island, N.Y.) scored a team-high 13 points with three assists and two steals.
• Sophomore forward Sabrina Clement (Queens, N.Y.) fell one-point shy of her second-straight double-double with a team-best 10 rebounds and nine points on top of a career-high four steals.
• Sophomore guard Saundra Cleckley (Queens, N.Y.) dished out a team-leading four assists with seven rebounds and two steals.
• For Jefferson, Caitlyn Cunningham scored 29 points while Jessica Kaminski tallied 23 points with nine rebounds, eight assists and four steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• After surrendering a pair of baskets to start the contest, back-to-back layups from Nicholson and freshman guard Sara Hopkins (Mountain Top, Pa.) evened the score at 4-4 with 5:31 to go in the quarter. The Clippers took the lead at 7-6 off a junior guard Cameron Corbett (Staten Island, N.Y.) triple in response to a Jefferson jumper, but a three pointer from the Rams gave the visitors a 9-7 edge with 4:00 remaining in the frame. Concordia knotted the score off a Corbett layup and again at 11-all off a Cleckley basket before a 13-0 run by Jefferson to end the quarter made it 24-11.
• Concordia scored the opening two points of the second quarter, and nine of the initial 11, to make it 26-20 with 7:30 to go in the half. Jefferson recreated its double-digit advantage with a 5-0 spurt before junior center Amiya Rankins (Somerset, N.J.) ended the spree with a layup only for a triple and free throw extending the separation to 37-22 with 14 seconds left in the half. Clement connected on a three pointer as time expired, creating a 37-25 halftime score.
• Jefferson limited the Clippers to four points in the third quarter, coming from sophomore forward Jordyn Hornbuckle (Hopkinsville, Ky.) and Corbett, while the Rams added 14 points to its total to hold a 51-29 advantage heading into the final stanza.
• The visitors opened the fourth quarter with an 11-2 run to extend the separation to 62-31 with 7:17 remaining in the contest. Back-to-back baskets from Clement and Nicholson cut into the lead, only for a 9-3 stretch creating a game-high 33-point deficit at 71-38 with 3:21 remaining in the contest. Concordia outscored Jefferson 8-3 over the final three minutes of the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 19-57 shots, going 6-20 from three-point territory and 2-2 from the free throw line.
• Dominican finished 30-57 from the field, 5-13 from distance and 9-14 from the free throw line.
• The Clippers dished out 12 assists versus 17 for the visitors.
• Concordia committed 20 turnovers, resulting in 22 points for the Rams. Jefferson committed 14 turnovers, leading to seven points.
• Jefferson held a 38-29 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia got eight points off its bench, while Jefferson got 14.
• Concordia recorded 10 steals with one block while Jefferson stole the ball 13 times with six blocks.
The women's basketball team begins a season-ending four-game road swing on Tuesday, Feb. 19 at Nyack College, set to begin at 5:30 p.m.