LAKEWOOD, N.J. – Junior guard Shanice Graves (Brooklyn, N.Y.) led the Concordia College New York women's basketball team in her debut, scoring a team-high 10 points with five rebounds and two blocks, with the Clippers dropping an 81-41 decision against Assumption College at the Georgian Court Tip-Off Tournament in both team's season opener.
• Concordia falls to 0-1.
• Assumption improves to 1-0.
• Graves ' five rebounds matched for the team-high while her two rejections led the team.
• Freshman guard Marigona Bacaliu (Worcester, Mass.) tallied a team-best five steals.
• Redshirt-freshman guard Jaylene Brown (Bronx, N.Y.) dished out a team-high two assists.
• For Assumption, Monica Spain scored 19 points while Temi Falayi logged 13 rebounds with 11 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• After two-plus minutes of scoreless action to start the contest, freshman guard Jaayden Lafontant (Thiells, N.Y.) connected with Graves to give the Clippers a 2-0 lead with 7:41 remaining in the opening quarter. Concordia led for the bulk of the opening frame, with the Greyhounds using a 5-0 spurt late to take an 11-9 lead with 1:25 left in the quarter. Sophomore guard Sara Hopkins (Mountain Top, Pa.) made a pair of free throws to even the score, with Assumption making two of its own to create a 13-11 score at the end of the period.
• Assumption opened the second quarter with a 15-0 run to boast a 28-11 advantage with 4:55 left in the half. Junior guard Brenna Cloud (Delran, N.J.) ended the run with a layup, only for a 6-0 spurt by the opposition creating a 34-13 score with 2:59 left in the quarter. Neither side score consecutive baskets down the stretch, with Concordia going into halftime trailing 39-19.
• The two sides split the opening 12 points of the third quarter for a 45-25 score before an 8-3 stretch by Assumption created a 53-28 score with 4:05 left in the frame. Bacaliu cut into the separation with a three-pointer, with the Clippers being held to two free throws over the final 2:32 minutes for a 62-33 score going into the final quarter.
• Assumption kicked off the final quarter with a 6-0 run before a Lafontant layup made it 68-35 with 5:35 left to play. The Greyhounds added nine more points to its total before the Clippers scored again, a freshman guard Toni Kinard (Deer Park, N.Y.) triple, with freshman forward Eazette Bealon (New York, N.Y.) and freshman guard Ashley Wilson (Norwalk, Conn.) scoring the Concordia's final three points of the night off a free throw and layup.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• The Clippers converted on 11-63 shots, going 4-17 from three-point territory and 15-21 from the free throw line.
• Assumption finished 27-64 from the field, 2-12 from distance and 25-38 from the free throw line.
• Concordia recorded six assists while Assumption had 14.
• Assumption held a 61-34 advantage in rebounds.
• Concordia recorded 11 steals, leading to eight points. Assumption stole the ball nine times, resulting in 23 points
• Concordia' bench scored 15 points while the Greyhounds got 29 from its bench.
The women's basketball team concludes play at the Georgian Court Tip-Off Tournament on Sunday, Nov. 10 against Southern New Hampshire University with tip-off set for 12 p.m.