BRONXVILLE, N.Y. – On a day meant to honor its senior class, the Concordia College New York women's tennis team turned Thursday afternoon's Senior Day into a milestone outing for Head Coach Neil Tarangioli as the Clippers defeated St. Thomas Aquinas College 5-2 for his 100th victory at the helm of the program.
• Concordia improves to 15-6 overall.
• St. Thomas Aquinas falls to 6-13.
• Tarangioli has a 100-42 all-time record as the women's tennis coach. Overall, he has 679 total wins with 579 over his 38 seasons as the head coach of the men's team and seven guiding the women's tennis team.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Sophomore Franziska Putschbach (Moenchweiler, Germany) blanked Chiara Dittrich at the fifth singles position 6-0, 6-0
• Senior Tadi Mrewa (East London, South Africa) bested Maya O'Brien 6-1, 6-0 on court five.
• Sophomore Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nevada) outlasted Ulyana Kitcmanuk 6-0, 6-1 at the sixth flight.
• Sophomores Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) won the opening set against Katarina Lopez at the top spot 6-4 before a 6-1 second stanza triumph.
• Senior Kristel Kalm (Stockholm, Sweden) fell in a pair of 6-4 sets to Amelie Meyers at the second flight.
• Sophomore Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) rallied in each of her sets on court three, taking Cassandra Rohr to a tiebreaker game in the second but could not force a third set in a 7-5, 7-6 (9-7) setback.
• Kalm and Putschbach outlasted Dittrich and Meyers at the second doubles flight 6-1.
• Karlsson Hantzis and Torres Martin, the 31st-ranked duo nationally, bested O'Brien and Lopez 6-2 at the first position.
• Mrewa and Sta Cruz wrapped up Senior Day with a 6-2 victory over Rorh and Ristova on court three.
The women's tennis team concludes the 2018-19 regular season on Monday, April 22 at No. 41 New York Institute of Technology in a 3 p.m. contest.