OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. – Senior Tadi Mrewa (East London, South Africa) and sophomore Franziska Putschbach (Moenchweiler, Germany) both won their matches in singles action on Monday evening with the 36th-ranked duo of sophomores Angelica Karlsson Hantzis (Fuengirola, Malaga, Spain) and Josefina Torres Martin (Miami, Fla.) besting their New York Institute of Technology counterparts at the top doubles position in the Concordia College New York women's tennis team's 5-2 setback to No. 43 NYIT.
• Concordia, ranked sixth in the initial National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) East Region Poll, falls to 15-7.
• NYIT, ranked fourth within the East Region, improves to 17-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Putschbach and senior Kristel Kalm (Stockholm, Sweden) fell at the second doubles flight 6-3 to Ivana Andric and Diana Baumgartnere.
• Torres Martin and Karlsson Hantzis prevailed 6-4 against Monica Borobia and Ann-Kathrin Zilles at the top position.
• With the doubles point on the line, Mrewa and sophomore Katrina Sta Cruz (Las Vegas, Nevada) dropped a 6-4 decision to Kaitlyn Byrnes and Barbie Quagliardi on court three.
• Mrewa cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 victory at the fourth singles slot against Zilles
• Karlsson Hantzis fell against Quagliardi on the first court 7-5, 6-3.
• Kalm dropped a 6-3, 6-2 contest at the second flight to Buamgartnere.
• Putschbach prevailed against Borobia 6-2, 6-1 at the fifth position.
• Sta Cruz recovered from a 6-1 opening set at the sixth spot against Alcerro Lopez, but could not force a third set as her Bear counterpart won the tiebreaker point in set two 7-2 to take the frame 7-6.
• Torres Martin took Andric to a third set behind a 6-1 second-set victory after falling in the opener 7-5, with the deciding stanza going to a tiebreaker point which went the hosts way 7-4.
The women's tennis team finds out its postseason fate on Tuesday, May 7, with the top-six teams from the region advancing to the Regional Round starting on Monday, May 13.