WATERBURY, Conn. – Reigning Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Rookie of the Week Freshman middle blocker Madison Gardner (Oak Hills, Calif.) etched her name in the Concordia College New York women's volleyball program record book on Wednesday evening for kills in a match behind a personal-best total, with freshman defensive specialist Lydimar Soto De Los Santos (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) also setting her career-high in kills in a 3-1 (25-23, 25-27, 27-25, 25-23) setback at Post University.
• Concordia falls to 8-12, 7-11 in CACC play.
• Post improves to 6-24, 6-13 in league action.
• Gardner boasted 19 kills in the loss, tied for the fifth-most in a single match in program history.
• Gardner added three assisted blocks to her team-best kills.
• De Los Santos recorded a personal-high 17 kills with 12 digs for her sixth double-double of the season to go with two service aces and two assisted blocks.
• Sophomore setter Militza De Hostos (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) recorded her 13th double-double of the campaign behind 28 assists and 15 digs.
• Junior libero Nelly Diaz (Land O' Lakes, Fla.), the defending CACC Defensive Player of the Week boasted 29 digs with two service aces.
• For Post, Shannon Vealle recorded 22 kills on a .455 clip with 11 digs and two assisted blocks while Elizabeth McGrath tallied 47 assists and Jayda Roman notched 18 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Post used an 8-2 stretch trailing 10-7 in the first set to take a 15-12 lead. Concordia cut the separation down to one own behind back-to-back points, with Post ending the spree before a 5-1 run by the Clippers pushed them to a 19-17 advantage. Post reclaimed the lead late at 22-20, with Concordia knotting the score at 22-all only for Post to score three of the final four points of the frame.
• With the score tied at 10-all in the second set, Concordia went on a 7-2 spree to take a 17-12 advantage. Post responded behind an 8-3 stretch to take a 20-19 lead, with a 3-0 retort from the Clippers creating a 22-20 score. Concordia created set point at 24-21, with Post rallying behind a 4-0 run to take its own set point at 25-24 before a 3-0 run by the visiting side ended the stanza.
• Concordia jumped out to an early 9-4 advantage in the third set, but a 6-1 run by the host created a tied 10-10 score. Neither side held a lead larger than two down the stretch, with the two sides seeing 12 tied scores before Post scored the back-to-back points needed to take the frame.
• Concordia scored seven of the opening 10 points of the fourth stanza to take an early 7-3 lead. Post used an 8-3 spurt to pull ahead 11-10, with neither side holding a lead larger than three for the remainder of a back-and-forth set.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Concordia finished the match with 59 kills on a .191 hitting percentage versus 61 on a .291 clip for Post.
• Concordia held a 77-66 advantage in digs.
• Concordia served seven aces, the host served six.
• Concordia recorded two solo blocks with 10 assisted for seven total while Post tallied three solo with 14 assisted for 10 overall.
The volleyball team concludes the 2019 regular season on Saturday, Nov. 16 at Goldey-Beacom College in an 11 a.m. contest.